Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Catch-up No. 8

Eighth Installment 3 Nov 2009:

In an effort to ward off any afternoon anxiety, I headed out to Starbucks after M went home, today. He whipped my socks off in a marathon game of Monopoly (the kid is a land Baron!) I had my mini-laptop with me and was going to work on my nanowrimo novel. Got there, almost didn't go in, but decided I owed it to myself to do so. Got my hot chocolate and a single seater table.

Set up the laptop, switched eye glasses and started to write. The keyboard is 89% the size of a regular one, so it's not too bad, but the touch mouse pad is super sensitive, so we had to get used to one another. I hope no one heard me threaten it. I finally found a starting place and commenced. I did pretty well with about 450 words in a half hour but then I got sandwiched between a new teenage mother giving a blow by blow account of her son's entrance to the world (he was adorable and she wasn't too obnoxious, just a little hyper talking about her water breaking etc.) and a poor guy behind me who, when the server asked him if he was okay, blurted out how he hasn't been able to get work in over a year and can't buy things for his little girl, and has a college degree and experience and he was an Iraqi war veteran.

My heart was smooshed between the elation of the new mom and the sorrow and anguish I heard in that good man's voice. My first instinct was to turn and commiserate with him, but, right now I know that is not best for me, so I packed up, quietly, and left. I don't think Starbucks is the place for me to get away to write. Next I will check out the library and bookstores. I hope I can get to the point where I can just stay home and write as it is much faster for me on a regular sized keyboard and easier on my neck and shoulders, too. I am giving myself a pat on the back for even going and trying. I could think of a zillion reasons not to.:-) Thanks for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment